Enhanced Combat Helmet
The Enhanced Combat Helmet (ECH) was developed in response to a 2009 USON to produce a helmet that provides ballistic protection from selected small arms ammunition and fragmentation, yet maintains all other characteristics of the Marine Corps' Lightweight Helmet (LWH) and the Army's Advanced Combat Helmet (ACH).
The ECH consists of
- a ballistic protective shell,
- pad suspension system, and
- 4-point chinstrap/napestrap retention system.
and will include other accessories such as helmet cover and night vision goggle mounting bracket. Additionally, optional ballistic nape pad and eyewear retention straps are available. The optional ballistic nape pad is available for increased stability and protection against fragments from ground-level threats.
Unlike the ACH/LWH, which are constructed with aramid fibers, the ECH is constructed using ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene fibers.
The ECH is compatible with, and is typically worn in conjunction with other components of infantry combat equipment such as Body Armor Systems, protective spectacles/goggles and/or prescription glasses, night vision equipment and a camouflage fabric helmet cover.
The ECH is of one Type (tactical cut) and two Classes, which are differentiated by their retention systems:
- Class I uses the X-Back for the USMC & Navy and
- Class II uses the H-Back for the Army.
- TM 10-8470-211-10: Operator Manual for Enhanced Combat Helmet
- Mine Safety Appliances Company
- Gentex Corp.
- M67854-09-D-3061 and M67854-09-D-3060
- Ceradyne, Inc.
- $728,970 each
- BAE Systems Aerospace & Defense Group, Inc.
- M67854-15-R-1001: https://www.fbo.gov/spg/DON/USMC/Contracts_Office_CTQ8/M67854-15-R-1001/listing.html
- Contract: M67854-15-D-1001: https://www.fbo.gov/spg/DON/USMC/Contracts_Office_CTQ8/Awards/M6785415D1001.html
- Class I: X-back retention; TAMCN: C01202E
- X-Small 8470-01-592-7348
- Small 8470-01-592-6226
- Medium 8470-01-592-6215
- Large 8470-01-592-6208
- X-Large 8470-01-592-6235
- XX-Large 8470-01-592-6200
- Class II: H-back retention, Tan 498
- X-Small 8470-01-591-4438
- Small 8470-01-591-4449
- Medium 8470-01-591-4453
- Large 8470-01-591-4458
- X-Large 8470-01-591-4444
- XX-Large 8470-01-591-4471
- Cover without communication flap, UCP
- Small/Medium 8415-01-591-5907
- Large/X-Large 8415-01-591-5918
- XX-Large 8415-01-591-5946
- Cover without communication flap, OCP
- Small/Medium 8415-01-591-5926
- Large/X-Large 8415-01-591-5934
- XX-Large 8415-01-591-5933
- Cover, reversible woodland/desert MARPAT; TAMCN: C0153
- X-Small 8415-01-582-9684
- Small 8415-01-582-9759
- Medium 8415-01-582-9674
- Large 8415-01-582-9431
- X-Large 8415-01-582-9681
- XX-Large 8415-01-582-8729
- Cover, snow MARPAT
- X-Small 8415-01-582-9799
- Small 8415-01-582-9809
- Medium 8415-01-582-9827
- Large 8415-01-583-0167
- X-Large 8415-01-592-5255
- XX-Large 8415-01-582-9838
- ECH APBI 
- PdM ICE Product Information Sheet 
- ↑ M67854-09-R-3025: https://www.fbo.gov/spg/DON/USMC/Contracts_Office_CTQ8/M6785409R3025/listing.html