Enhanced Side Small Arms Protective Inserts and Ballistic Carriers
The Enhanced Side Small Arms Protective Inserts (enhanced side-SAPI, enhanced S-SAPI, or side-ESAPI) and ballistic carriers provide increased side torso protection for Marines. The Side-ESAPI replaced the Side Small Arms Protective Insert (Side-SAPI, S-SAPI).
The side-ESAPI system consists of interchangeable plates that are inserted into ballistic carriers attached to the sides of a Marine's Outer Tactical Vest (OTV). The OTV contain soft body armor that provides protection from fragmentation and 9mm projectiles. The side-ESAPI plates are used in addition to the vest's soft armor inserts and provide additional protection from rifle-fired threats (5.56mm and 7.62mm APM2), the same protection as the ESAPI.
- Army 7"x8" Enhanced Side Ballistic Insert
- Solicitation: M67854-06-R-3031
- TAMCN: C00152E
- 6"x8" plate, black: 8470-01-534-0760
- 6"x8" plate, green: 8470-01-540-6532
- for 6"x8" plate: 8470-01-534-0777
- for x-small ESAPI plate: 8470-01-547-5915
- A set of two carriers and two plates: 8470-01-535-9876
- Side-ESAPI infopaper